Booking a Flight the Frugal Way

http://frugaltraveler.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/02/16/click-it-and-ticket-booking-a-flight-the-frugal-way/?em

February 16, 2010, 11:00 pm
bing.com

Or is it? Will the price go down? For that, I check Farecast.com (which has been absorbed into Bing) and Yapta.com, which track airfares and can predict — based on historical data and knowledge of the airlines’ pricing systems — if a price is going to go up or down in the near future. In this case, Bing/Farecast says buy, so I guess I will, even though I’m a little skeptical of their methods. In light of volatile oil prices, pandemic panics and the generally unpredictable future of travel, I don’t know how much to trust these virtual prognosticators. At some point, I have to perform an important, very personal calculation: is it worth my time to keep searching — and to keep worrying that I’m missing out on a better deal? Or should I just go for it and accept that I’ve found a decent fare?

For an international flight, things are slightly more complicated. Let’s imagine I’m going to Bangkok in early April (as I very well might be). For this trip, my dates are a bit more open-ended, as is the amount of time I’m willing to take to get to Thailand. So, I’ll again start with Kayak, checking out its airfare matrix, a calendar-based grid that appears when I enter my origin, destination and the month I’m traveling.

Kayak.com

Each day of the calendar has a dollar figure showing the lowest possible fare with a departure for that date. Click on the day (April 1 in this case) and a long list appears, with fares ranging from “$950+” to “$1400+” and boxes that let me specify how long of a trip I want: 1-4 days, 5-9 days, 10-14 days or 15+ days. Ten to 14 sounds reasonable, a choice that lands me a one-stop flight (there’s no longer a nonstop, alas) with Cathay Pacific at “$1,165+.” That plus sign is important, because now I have to click “Check now” and find out what the fare will really be … Surprise! It really is $1,165.

If, however, I do the search again, specifying flexible dates, I come up with a bunch of $1,000 options on Air China. Which do I go for?

That’s when I start checking other sites. First is Vayama.com, a booking site that specializes in international flights and claims to have access to private deals unavailable elsewhere. And Vayama comes through pretty well, finding a $1,048 fare on Asiana (taxes and fees included) and, intriguingly, a $1,230 fare on a Oneworld Alliance airline. Which one? I won’t know until I book, but since American Airlines is a Oneworld member, my frequent-fliergold status might garner me an upgrade, or at least the chance to earn a bunch of miles and request a better seat.

Meanwhile, cFares finds that same $1,048 fare on Asiana (actually, it finds it on Vayama, and on CheapoAir.com) and offers a respectable $30 rebate. Not bad. Now I just need to decide: would I prefer to fly through Seoul (on Asiana) or Beijing (on Air China), or do I want to plump an extra $200 for several thousand frequent-flier miles on American?

Honestly, I don’t know. But I should probably make up my mind soon, before the airlines get wind of my plans.

SeatExpert.com The seat plan for an Air China
Boeing 747-400.

Still, however, there are a few more little things I do to game the system as much as possible. I try to fly on Tuesdays or Wednesdays, when fares tend to be a little lower (though not always) and fewer people mob the airports (though not always). I go to SeatExpert.com to find the best spot in the plane to park myself. (Sorry, SeatGuru.com!) And I try always to buy the ticket directly through the airline, partly to maximize frequent-flier miles, partly because the airlines sometimes have special deals that don’t show up on Kayak, but also so that if things go wrong at the airport (as I’ve heard happens on very rare occasions) the airline won’t be able to blame some third-party booker.

None of this, of course, is foolproof. Fares go up or down seemingly at random, routes change or evaporate or come into being according to no logic I can discern, and what I imagine would be an empty flight could turn out to be full of rowdy high-schoolers on a class trip. (They’re worse than babies, seriously.) But traveling well (and frugally) means being ready for the unexpected — even when it happens long before you ever get on the plane.